Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Choices

I have not been able to blog as much as I would like lately. My computer has finally decided to kick the bucket, after a slow dying process.

Originally the C key would not work. Which was fine and dandy, except of course when you had to spell anything with a C in it. Then slowly all the other keys began to fade. Normally my disposition is one that is slow to anger, but I have discovered that my calm demeanor doesn't apply to machines that don't work. I have begun to fantisize about that scene in Office Space... taking the computer out to a big field and wacking it with a baseball bat would feel a little too good right now!

You know when the power goes out and by habit you go all around the house flipping the light switches? And when that still doesn't sink in, you try to use the microwave to heat dinner? The same has been true with me and the computer. I sit down ready to blog, e-mail, or search a site and are slammed with the realization that the computer fixing fairy didn't visit over night! I then go through a series of deep breathing, slamming and grunting.

When things don't go our way, it's hard not to focus on anything else. Particularly when it's something that throws us off our normal routine of living or doing things.

If everything went my way, then life would be perfect.... at least in my eyes.

But, the tinest thing... traffic, a broken computer, juice spilling on my shirt, or being out of pet food can throw me off in a tail spin.

The more I focus on flexibility and remember that I can not (and will not) be in control at all times, the quicker I get right back on track, not letting the speed bump get in my way for long.

I know that happiness is a choice. Pain is inevitable, but you truly must choose to be happy. Allowing small inconviencences to ruin your day, is a way of choosing to be unhappy.

So, how do you turn a frustration into a positive?

You ask yourself, "How can I make the best of the situation?"

For example, my husband travels with his work several long weekends out of the year. It is certainly not "my way" for him to travel. I would rather he always be home, free to spend the weekends with me and around the house. Here's the choice time. I could decide to constantly complain about something that can not be changed at the present and mope around the house while he is gone. But, all of those decisions would bring about unhappiness for me and my husband.

Instead, I choose to make the best of the situation by planning visits with family and friends during the times he is away. I still wish he didn't have to travel, but honestly, I enjoy my time to fellowship with people I love.

What road blocks have you experienced today, or this week, that are attempting to throw you off course? If you are off track, jump back on, by remembering you can choose to look at the situation in any way that helps you see things in a more positive light.

As for me, I have committed to not attempt to work the computer until I have it fixed. There is no reason to bring extra negativity in my life. In the meantime, I will continue with my internal dialogue... instead of typing it out!

1 comment:

Craig and Jamie said...

You could just go get that new computer... hint, hint!!
This post is great. It's tough not to get all frustrated over the little things that happen during our day. That's definitely something I've learned as a mom... be flexible and just remember to chill out.