Sunday, February 10, 2008

EMDR

Over the weekend I attended a basic EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) training. EMDR is a therapeutic process that bases it's theological standpoint from the belief that there is no disconnect between the mind and the body. The more I learn about the mind/body connection, the more I am astounded that modern medicine ever functions with one without dealing with the other.





In brief, EMDR allows your brain to heal naturally, like any part of the body. If you have a broken arm, you may go to the doctor to have it set in a cast. Then the body takes over from there and begins to heal itself.


Our brain is, of course, a part of our body. Therefore, our thinking process and memory has the ability to heal itself, once "set" in the right direction. Life experiences leave bumps and bruises on our brain. This effects our memory of the past. And in return, effects how we perceive things in the present and future.





Still with me?





It's a complicated, yet very simple, process.





Through bi-lateral stimulation, (engaging the right and left hemispheres of the brain, typically done by rapid eye movements) the brain takes a trip down memory lane, literally, and re configures the memories. It doesn't change memories, it simply allows you to see things in a "different light" so to speak. Some believe it works similar to REM sleep, in the way we work through issues in our dreams.





If you can not already tell, I find it remarkable and extremely interesting.





So, I signed up for the training.





Throughout out the training I was amazed at the video clips and studies done that show so many people healing from traumatic and/or every day life events that have been "stuck" in a painful and unsettling place in the memory.





Everything was dandy, until the moment I was asked to sit in the chair and be the "client". I had 24 hours before I was going to experience what, according to everyone else, was an "amazing" and "peaceful" experience. I wanted to learn about it... not experience it. Ever heard that saying... "Those that can't, teach"? I'd prefer to teach... not experience.



Sunday morning, as I put on my makeup and brushed my hair, preparing to attend the last day of training. But, my mind was not on what the lecture, rather it was paralyzed with fear at what, if anything, lurked in the confines of my brain that may, or may not, show itself in the days exercise.



I was terrified.



I wanted to throw up.



I even said to my mock therapist, "If we don't have time to get to me, that's OK, because I don't really have anything to work on."
To which she laughed and asked me to sit in the chair (aka doomsday to my mind) and get prepared to be "the client".



And then we began.



For starters, I was a resistant client.



I didn't want to go "there". Even though I didn't know where "there" was. If I had to go there, to heal for some reason, then I probably didn't want to go. So my mind was telling me.


"Relax" her voice told me. "Trust the process" she said what seemed like a million times.



And I did.



I cried and felt pain. In my body. In my heart. I was angry, sad, confused and more.



But, those feelings were incredibly brief. Minutes. Seconds. I felt them and they faded away.



In a moment of pain I heard the unmistaken message from God, "I am here. I am in control. I have never left you. I have been with you in the past, I am with you now, and I will forever be beside you in whatever comes your way."



Then there was peace.



A peace I have felt before, but each time I re-experience it, I feel more whole than the time before.





A complete body experience.

What is there to fear when God is with you?


That is what I took away. If I am afraid of my own mind, how can I face anything else?



Whether or not you ever experience EMDR or not, you can feel that peace I still feel as I write this.



First, you have to be willing to feel. Avoidance will only bring more of the pain. Feel, confront, acknowledge, say, do whatever you know you need to do to "face" the past and regain control of your own mind by letting go of control and allowing it heal itself.



Let God do the rest and you will see the truth that will set you free.

No comments: