Thursday, March 13, 2008

Take down the dulcimer.

"Today, like every other day, we wake up empty
and frightened. Don't open the door to the study
and begin reading. Take down the dulcimer.
There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Let the beauty we love be what we do."
I found this excerpt in the Spirituality And Health magazine for this quarter. Kabir Helminski and Lida Saedian translated these words and many more from "a medieval Islamic ascetic" named Rumi, who is known by many as a philosopher and spiritual guru.
I read this quote over and over again. In the way you are initially attracted to something, these words danced on the page as I sat propped up in the bed last night. I awoke this morning with it on my mind, too.
At first it was because I had no idea what the word "dulcimer" meant. Webster informed me that it was a stringed instrument.
Ahh... now the quote makes sense to my simple brain.
Why does he say we are empty and frightened? And then imply this is a daily feeling?
My interpretation of these words are this:
There are so many ways to enjoy life and and our walk in this world. If we continue to only watch and read about the things we love, and never actually experience it, we will be empty for the rest of this life. The fear lies in our own self conscious behaviors that don't allow us to actually do what we love. We watch sports, but do we throw the football in the yard? I love music, but attempt to play the piano - I'm too afraid - or not enough time.
This week do what Rumi suggests..... put down the books, walk away from the TV and experience your beauty. Then, you will have a full life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Could My partner and i uncover you might be through Qld?
You undoubtedly be understood as the Aussie :Zero)
My weblog : Cheap Car Insurance For Young Drivers

Anonymous said...

My sister advised I'd such as this website. They ended up being perfect. This particular truly built my personal time. You cannot consider how much time I'd invested searching for the following.
Also see my site > Genital Warts Remedies