Sunday, March 23, 2008

Revisiting the Easter Story

Happy Easter!

Easter came early this year. The earliest it has been for a number of years. From what I hear, it's the earliest it will be for a number of years more.

I remembered the "true meaning" of Easter. Of course, I did.

I also remembered the laundry, the floors that needed to be swept, the lunch that needed to be prepared, the phone calls wishing others a "Happy Easter", a business call and to write on my "To Do" list for next week: Bring out the linens and the whites!

There.... back to Easter.

I opened up my Bible a few moments ago.... yes, check the time of the post .... I hate to admit that the most important part of today came the latest.

I know why we celebrate Easter. Memorized, like the pledge of allegiance, or brushing my teeth half asleep in the morning. I know it all too well that I have forgotten to attach meaning to it at all.

Funny how we do that. We know stories so well we recite them and forget the emotion behind the event. We know people so well we could predict their move before they have a chance to think it on their own...yet, our familiar cadence often produces a stale environment where little love and passion grows. We go through the motions... but, often we are bad actors.

We have to revisit our stories in order to remember the true meaning. In order to feel the spark and experience the gravitating force that slams our hearts back into what is really real.... and not just a memorized story line portraying something that was once real.

Revisit those things that are important to you today... this week... this month. Tell stories with your partner about the times you met and what made the spark ignite from the first moment. Share with others the time you felt a calling or were moved to make a major decision in your life. Even the painful parts of our past hold energy that has propelled us to where we are today. Revisit, relive and give rebirth to yourself today.

Remember the Easter story is in itself a story about the true potential of miracles and the power of kept promises. The same God that rose Jesus from the grave can also preform miracles in you.

Don't let the Easter story, or your own story, go stale. Re-read it and rise with new energy today.