Thursday, December 13, 2007

Litte Drummer Boy

It's official: 12 days until Christmas!

When some radio stations first began the "only Christmas music" I was tuned in! Who cares if it was way before Thanksgiving and I was still wearing a short sleeve shirt? I love Christmas music!

"The Little Drummer Boy" has been stuck in my head all day long. I have pa rum pum pum pummed my morning away (of course in opera voice). The story line of the song is moving to me.

A little boy hears news of the King being born and is aware he must take a gift to signify the greatness of such an event. He goes, without a material gift. He acknowledges his status as a poor man to Jesus, then asks if he can play his drum for Him. He played the best he knew how to play and received the blessing of being smiled upon by his Lord. Pa rum pum pum pum! Beautiful! Simple! And yet, incredibly accurate on how we are to live our lives to please Jesus.

Should the manger scene occur in today's time, I am embarrassed to say that I would likely be focused on superficial things. I would probably call my mom and ask what the proper attire would be for such an event. I would stress about being over or under dressed. There would not be one gift, but many gifts bought in order to decrease my anxiety of getting the right thing. And they would be wrapped in extravagant paper with big bows. Not a single thing a baby could find useful.

This fictional young boy is much wiser than me. He is genuine and honest. He immediately notices his likeness to the King. He doesn't just say he is poor, he says "I am a poor boy, too." The drummer noted the magnificence of Jesus, but also had the ability to see himself in the Savior. How awesome and true to what I believe God intends for us to do. The very reason God made Jesus in human form - to develop an kinship and commonality with His believers.

Perhaps most wisely, the boy recognizes that he has a gift of playing the drums. A God given gift. Do we acknowledge our talents or likenesses as gifts? Of course they are! Without a bow and not under a tree, but gifts no less that make us special and unique. Of course the best way to praise Jesus is to use our gifts the best that we know how.

Think about the instrument you've been given. Play it the best you can and as often as you can and you will be more than smiled upon by your God. Pa rum pum pum pum!

1 comment:

anna said...

Question....Ever thought about writing a book one day? Because if you do I would by it. I would even try to get it on Oprah's book club. You are full of thought provoking things. Inspirational too. Anywho, keep up the blogging because it truly makes my day to read it.