Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Secret Santa Stress

A few weeks ago approached one of my bosses with a Christmas suggestion. Last year I received nine small gifts wishing me a Merry Christmas from my colleagues. I was not prepared to give in return and felt guilty for my lack last year.

"Why don't we draw names?" I asked my boss. "That way we only buy one gift!"

"Great idea! You're in charge!" she responded.

Note to self: have someone else bring the 'good ideas' to the boss next time.

Excited about the Christmas season, I jumped on the challenge. After everyone agreed to participate, I grabbed a basket and everyone drew a name. It was all going so smoothly, I could not have imagined the dramatic downfall of "secret Santa craziness" the week presented.

Starting Monday, I began receiving phone calls from one stressed out colleague to another. "What was the price limit?"
"I don't like the name I drew, is it too late to switch?"
"Are we exchanging before, during or after lunch?"
"Do we put our name on the present?"
"Why don't we ditch the name drawing idea all together and just bring a gift?"
"Are we playing a game with the secret Santa?"
And so on...

I truly thought I might have agreed to launch a missile at work, as much preparation that was now going into a simple secret Santa project. Every 'good idea' I would hear, there would be another that hated the very thought of the plan!

Yesterday was the time to exchange and I entered work to a frenzy of faces that were looking to me for answers to their Secret Santa questions. After a couple of people bit my head off and snipped that they did not want to do this again next year, I excused myself to my office and closed the door. Thank goodness for doors!

I was aghast at how a something with good intentions could fold itself out into a stressful mania of negative attitudes. Was there seriously not enough to stress about than to add a gift exchange at work to the list? Now I was stressed and wanted to call the whole thing off!!

All in all, it ended on a good note. Mainly because I surrounded myself with the three or four positive people in the bunch. But, that is where a lot of us are right now:
Stressed about EVERYTHING!!

I have yet to hear someone say how much they are enjoying the season. Everyone is complaining, angry, disappointed, sad, frustrated, or stressed about SOMETHING!! Including me.... until now! I am vowing to enjoy the season and not let stress effect me! If a bow doesn't fit right, a secret Santa exchange doesn't go your way, or the dinner must start an hour later then you would like -- GET OVER IT!!! Your attitude and feelings about the holidays will be what is remembered by all - mostly the children - not the details of the event. I saw a picture that said it all. A small child was asleep in a Christmas outfit and dream bubble said, "I am dreaming of a happy family for Christmas". Your attitude affects the very people who should enjoy the magic of Christmas! Don't spoil it!

"Stress is not what happens to us. It's our response TO what happens. And RESPONSE is something we can choose."

"When you find yourself stressed, ask yourself one question:
Will this matter in 5 years from now?
If yes, then do something about the situation.
If no, then let it go."

2 comments:

anna said...

I agree! Leave the stress out and just have fun! And for what it's worth I think your idea was great! I Love You!!!

ardonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.