Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm gonna let it shine.

It's difficult to celebrate when there is so much grief in the world. Fires, tropical storms, hurricanes, wars.... Loss of houses, loss of things, loss of life. Grief is everywhere. I feel overwhelmed with emotion when I imagine how many mothers, fathers, spouses, brothers, sisters and friends are mourning the loss of someone they love. It wasn't that long ago that I was staying in a beach house with friends for our college fall break. It's painful when things hit close to home.


Now that we have our daily dose of heart break I think I will crawl back under the covers. The last thing I want is to go to work and hear about others' issues now. I think I'll go back to sleep. It's silent there, it's dark there, it's safe there, it's easier than facing the world.


But, we are called to move on and be beacon for those that are suffering.




You are the light of the world.


A city on a hill cannot be hidden.


Neither do people light a lamp


and put it under a bowl.


Instead they put it on its stand,


and it gives light to everyone in the house.


In the same way,


Let your light shine before men,


that they may see your good deeds


and praise your Father in heaven.


Matthew 5:14-16




There are many different interpretations of this message. Today, it is reminding me that the horrible events of the world do not have the power to blow out my candle of hope unless I allow it. We can not allow worldly events to dim our faith that God is good. Our light reminds us and others that a higher power is in control, even though the world may seem in chaos.


Celebration does not mean there has to be a party with balloons and loud displays of excitement. It can also be the silent, loving listener that stands beside the mourning, helping their light to shine when they are too weak to keep it lit alone.


Don't get back under the covers today. Face the world and let your light shine.

No comments: