Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"Great Job Liz!"

Yesterday my 12:00pm client canceled. Opting to keep in line with my New Year's goals, I decided to try out a new exercise class that met at that time. Along with everyone else and their brother, I found a parking space and entered the YMCA.



Going to an exercise class can be intimidating. Particularly one you have not gone too before. This was an hour long biking class. I was already begining to flood myself with negative thinking, "What if I can't keep up?", "I'm so out of shape, I don't know if I can make it an hour", and my personal favorite: "I think I'll place my bike close to the door in case I can't make it the whole time."



When I walked in to the class I was greeted with a different type of energy. Mostly, the classes I prefer are yoga or pilates. In these classes there is a calmness and quiet energy in the air. This class was filled with smiling, chatty individuals.



I could tell right away that the people in this exercise class were a "team". By eavesdropping into general conversation, I found that this class e-mails one another, keeps up with whose coming and whose not, and coaches one another to push their limits. I was beginning to feel intimidated as the only stranger in this crowd.



The instructor came up to me before class and whispered, "What's your name, hon?"

"Liz" I said, with a smile. Happy to feel included in this perky group.



We jumped on the cycles and to the beat of high energy music, our legs began spinning. The instructor called out moves and told us when to put more resistance on the bike and when to take it off.



A lady sneaked in late and put her bike next to mine.

"It's been a long day" the stranger confided to me as she started peddling beside me.



Head down, legs pumping, after only 20 minutes, I began to feel as if I would give out.



"Keep it up Liz!! You are doing great today!" The instructor called loudly.



Head still down, I beamed and began peddling my little heart out.



Others would chant words of advice to their peers across the room. I was really enjoying this class. And just when I thought I couldn't do another "jump" the instructor would yell, "Your working hard, Liz! Keep it up!"


I gave a thumbs up to the class and peddled my heart out. When the hour was up, I felt energized, renewed and excited that the class was so much fun for me. The instructor was calling things out again.



"You did great, Liz!"



"Thanks" I heard another voice call out.


I looked up to see that the lady biking next to me was talking to the instructor. She was telling her of how she was recovering from surgery.

"Well" the instructor was saying, "You did awesome, Liz."



"Thanks" the other Liz said, "I needed that."



The whole time, the entire class I thought the instructor was encouraging me along, when in reality she was encouraging someone else. For a second I began to feel embarrassed. Did I fool myself into thinking I was a part of the "group"? Was anybody secretly laughing at me for the "thumbs up" I gave in response to another person's encouragement? All these worries are nothing more than nonsense.

My experience in the class did teach me a lesson. Encouragement is so important in every part of life. I may have convinced myself to leave early had I not thought I was being encouraged and supported. A few lines of support kept me motivated and gave me the strength to not give up. In addition to giving encouragement to others, we also have to vow to accept support whenever possible. I could have left that class and erased all my positive feelings, based on the fact that I was not the intended recipient of the kind words. Instead, I decided to take the support whether it was meant for me or not. I needed it and it was there.

Be in tune this week to how you can motivate others in keeping their goals. Also be aware of when you are being motivated and take it to heart. Don't brush by it without a second thought.

If someone is cheering your name, give a thumbs up and go on peddling!

No comments: