Monday, January 21, 2008

Preppy White Girl Celebrates MLK

My next client was a new one. I glanced in the mirror as I touched up my lip stick. Leaving the break room, I reviewed the client's face sheet and took note of why she was seeking therapy. As I walked out into the waiting area, I smiled, genuinely happy to meet the individual seeking out to better herself.
"I'm Liz - whom you will be meeting with today. Do you have any questions about the paper work?" I asked warmly to the wide eyed stranger.
That's when I noticed it. The look.
The look that said more than, "I've never been to therapy and I'm just nervous."
The look that hinted to disappointment, embarrassment and a touch of shock.
We walked to my office as I waited for the next line.
"You're so young!" she stated.
I smiled. It's hard not to instantly like someone who is honest about her emotions.
"Let's talk about that." I said as a typical therapist. "How will that effect our relationship?"
"Well," she wasn't sure where to go with this, "it's just that I thought... it's just... you're so young!"
I smiled again. After some discussion of our differences, age being just one, I invited this lovely lady to utilize the session today, and if at the end of the session she wanted to transfer to someone different, I would gladly assist in the process. After all, my goal is that she receive what she deserves: help with her issues at hand. My ego has no choice but to be left at home.
At the end of the hour she requested to continue her work with me as her therapist.
The truth is that I am young - comparatively so in my field. For some reason, people imagine therapists to be older, with gray hair placed in a bun and reader glasses at the tip of the nose. I am not the sort.
To sum me up in brief - I am preppy white girl in her late 20's. Highlighted dark blond hair, size 4/6 with a few pimples from time to time. I am good at what I do. I love what I do. I am passionate about helping people. I am also used to being judged at first glanced by some of the people I want to help.
I have been to old for the sixth grade girl who thinks no one understands.
To "preppy" for the out casts I saw in school based therapy. "You remind me of a cheerleader" one said disgustingly as she wrote me off.
Too white for the girl who was taught not to confide in people outside her race.
Too nice for those harden by life.
Too little, too old, too young, too something for a lot of people. How could I help them if I don't resemble them? I do not blame any of these people. Instead, I admire the many who have been able to look past our differences and move forward with the therapeutic relationship.

To know what it is like to be judged?

The smallest toe of my foot has barely grazed the tormented sea of judgement, racism and prejudice that has plagued our society for centuries.

I thank God for sending us fearless leaders, like Martin Luther King, Jr, who, in a peaceful state, fought for equality with a message of truth and wisdom. His dream was for all to realize that women and men are created equally.

So, where are you in that dream?

I am on board that journey. And I say journey, because it is ignorant to think that any of us are free of sin, or judgement in this case. I strive daily to filter out the media signals and age old stereotypes in order to see others as a reflection of God.... and not anything else. I work at it - and that's the truth. If you are not thinking about it, if you are not working at it... chances are you may not be following MLK's dream.

Don't think prejudice's still exist?
They are there in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Racism. Sizism. Ageism.
From religion to hair color. The fluency in the English language. The Southern drawl. Natural hair to the straightened European look. Tattoos. Piercing. He wears a uniform or he wears a tie. Single to married. Homosexuals. And the list goes on and on.

Strive today, in celebration of MLK's dream, to see others outside of what the demographics may represent. In the words of MLK, look for the content of a person's character. Believe in the dream to all be one. Like a body.... we all have a purpose. Do not cut some off because they are different than you. The knee is different than the ear and I need them both. MLK said that in order for America to be a great nation we must follow this thinking. And the same is for you - in order for you to be as great as God would intend for you to be - you must learn to look beyond what the eyes reflect and see with your spirit. After all - I am way more than a preppy white girl. Remember that others are more than meets the eye this week.

1 comment:

anna said...

You are much more than a preppy white girl Liz:-)