Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"Is something wrong with society?"

Whew!
The last few weeks have been a world wind. I have visited with family and friends, eaten every piece of chocolate that was in site, dirtied up and then cleaned my house and others. I enjoy very much being in the company of those that I love.

Now it's time to get "back to the grind" as they say. While you wouldn't have known it when the alarm went off this morning, I am excited to get back to a routine. So much was neglected in order for my attention to be focused on the holidays and festivities.

"Is something wrong with our society?" a teenager asked me first thing this morning.

Curious about this loaded question, I asked her to explain.

"Everybody wants something different or feels like they need to become more. Why make New Years Resolutions? Why can't we all just be satisfied with who we are and what we have?" she asked with a perky voice.

While there is some very real truth to this girl's words, the idea of acceptance lies somewhere in the middle. I have to love me in order to want to better me. You can't move forward unless you have first accepted the place you are in presently. If you skip that step, then you never really move at all -- or you only move in a circle -- slamming back to the first place you started.

Take a look at what is today and accept it at face value with out judgement. Then, make movement. You accept and then you grow. Without acceptance you can not grow. Once you have accepted all of you, you can not help but to grow. Like everything alive in nature, we must always be moving towards a goal. It's simply not natural to stay still.

Do you have a vision for you? Whether it's your spiritual life, your physical health, or travel plans, goals need to be made to facilitate movement. Movement equals energy. It's up to you to make that energy positive for your life today.

"The man who has accomplished
all that he thinks worthwhile
has begun to die."
E.T. Trigg

No comments: