Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shooting for the Moon


"Taking care of me is exhausting". I saw the weariness in the eyes of this young lady. "I just want to give it to someone else one day and have them take over. I need a vacation from worrying about me."

It's the 11th of January. I don't know about you, but already some of my well intended goals have begun to dim. I am no longer the bright flame of energy that is ready to embrace the "new me" with the new year. My light is flickering. I have worked diligently on my goals for two weeks now. Like the lady I was talking with earlier this week, I am growing weary of my positive changes. It takes a lot of focus to stay on track.

Making a change in your life is like running a marathon. It may sound like an adventure you can tackle. Inevitably, at some point in your training, one grows weary and asks aloud or silently, "Was I crazy to think I could actually do this?". Next comes the bargaining, "Maybe I'll take it down to a half marathon." Before you know it, you've signed up for a 5K and have made resolve with yourself that this may be all you could ever accomplish.

There is some merit in that saying, "Shoot for the moon and maybe you'll hit a few stars". So maybe the 5K is better than what would have been accomplished if the marathon was never a goal. The five pounds lost are not the 50 you intended for the year, but a start. The one junk drawer organized is not the whole house, but something. The one week of a positive attitude is not a year full of gratefulness, but at least a week. Right??

My spirit was twisting and turning as I typed the above paragraph. Why settle? You will only hit a star if your focus is not finely tuned on the intended target. The truth is that you can run the marathon, lose the weight, organize the house and work towards the promotion. You have the power within you to do whatever you set your mind, too. But, RIGHT NOW is the critical time. Don't let that flame burn out; rekindle the fire as you return to your spirit for inspiration and motivation.

"Those who hope in the Lord

will renew their strength.

They will soar on the wings like eagles;

they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Make the commitment this weekend to stay focused on your goals. Pray about your reservations. Ask your God for strength to continue. Find supportive family and friends and ask for encouragement. Shoot for the moon and be determined that you are not going to miss.


No comments: