Monday, November 5, 2007

Whatley: table for two

Concord has lots or restaurants! If you are in the mood for anything at all, we've got it. Ruby Tuesdays, Olive Garden, Crackle Barrel, Long Horn, Carrabas, Applebees, Red Lobster, and many more are on one strip leading the way to the Concord Mills..(a shoppers dream). The problem is that Shane and I get bored with the chain restaurants and try to make it a mission to find somewhere new and different, smaller and less commercialized. We like the experience of eating out just as much as the food.

This week I was thrilled to find out that a locally owned restaurant had just opened a few miles down the road. We made a date to go there Saturday night. As we drove up to the restaurant I "ooed" and "ahhed" at the unique look of the building. A fire was built and heaters were placed on a beautiful candle lit porch. The hostess greated us warmly and took our names. While we waited for the table, my taste buds began to dance with excitement as I watched other guest's entrees come out of the kitchen.

A team of wait staff dressed in all black presented the tables with beautiful displays of mouth watering food. The sauce was poured in fancy designs around the elegant square white plate. I quickly glanced at the menu to make sure we were in our price range. Whew... safe. Even the restrooms had a feel of significance. "This is my new favorite place!", I announced to Shane as the hostess walked us to the table. "You haven't even eaten the food yet" he jokingly reminded me.

After we ordered I stalked other people's plates of food. Eyeing every dish and planning the different meals I would get each time we came back. When our stufffed chicken and pork loin came to the table I could hardly wait to dig in. As it usually is when we eat, silence filled the table.

I'll cut to it.... the mash potatoes were cold and without flavor. The chicken was dry and stuffed with one leaf of spinach from what I could tell. I chewed slowly looking at my plate. I didn't want to express my disappointment and ruin the positive feel. I looked at Shane who was smiling. "How is it?"

"Not good" I admitted.

"Mine isn't either". And we both laughed.

Shane's pork loin was burnt, dry and also without flavor.

What a bummer! The presentation was so awesome, the building so inviting, the wait staff so friendly... how could the food be such a disappointment?

While presentation is important, it never matters unless the product has quality. I am sure you have visited a 'rough' looking place on the outside that quickly turns into your favorite restaurant. What sold it? The food of course.

Today focus on the quality of your work and time with others. Instead of running late to an appointment trying to fix your hair, go with unfixed hair and be centered at the meeting. Don't try to guess what to say to a friend in need, instead just listen and focus on the quality of hearing her words. If things go off schedule, remember to be flexible and think of the importance of your attitude, rather than the calendar. When hosting a dinner or small gathering your guests will leave reflecting your attitude from the night. If you are warm, honest and focused on their company, they will leave the same. But, if you fuss about the dust bunnies, the dirty dishes or the paint on the walls you don't agree with... they will depart with that attitude.

The end result in work and life has more to do with the quality of the person than his presentation. Don't try to dress up a poor meal, instead focus on improving the dish.


No comments: