Monday, November 12, 2007

When Opporunity Knocks..

My mom came in town this weekend and we enjoyed some 'girl time'. Two of our favorites: shopping and watching movies. Have you seen Evan Almighty? It's not an Oscar winner, but, I enjoyed some of it's messages. One of my favorite parts can be seen on the clip posted yesterday. Morgan Freeman, the actor playing 'God', explains to the wife of "New York's Noah" that the flood was not done out of anger, rather for an opportunity to show love. He goes on to describe that God answers our prayers through providing us opportunities.
I have been stuck on this message.
God provides us opportunities...
Why doesn't He just give us exactly what we prayed for, spelled out in black and white? Isn't that what a loving 'father' would do?
When I am stuck with a tough decision, or become tired of bearing a pain in my life, I want to throw a temper tantrum like a two year old does when mom or dad won't by the extra lollipop in the grocery store. Ok, let's be honest: I do throw a full fledged temper tantrum. I stomp, grunt, whine, and declare the unfairness of the situation. I stick my tongue out, cross my arms and declare silent treatment with God. The more I grow, not in age, but, spiritually, I have learned to cut these silent treatments shorter and shorter.
When our eyes are set only for what we are looking for, then we miss what our higher power may be sending us. If you are lonely, and pray for relief from that terrible feeling, God may have sent you the opportunity to find a new friend. Maybe it comes in the form of a neighbor stopping by to say 'hi', or an unexpected invitation to a social gathering. But, if our eyes are closed, we may miss the answer to our prayers. What's the point of praying if we are not going to receive the answers?
We do need to give things to God. We do need to believe that our higher power will arrange our lives to perfectly meet our needs. But, that does not mean that we are lazy participants in this relationship. Keep your eyes open for opportunities that God is allowing to change your life. Be open to receiving these messages and gifts. Understand that your prayers are not going to be answered in your way, but in an all knowing, magnificent way. If things are tough right now, remember God is not shunning you, rather he is loving you during your time of need. Keep faith that God will answer your prayers, and then keep your soul open for the opportunity to accept the gift. When opportunities knock , open the door and allow them to come in.

I tell you the truth,
if you have faith as small as
a mustard seed,
you can say to this mountain,
'Move from here to there'
and it will move.
Nothing is impossible for you.
Matthew 17:20

No comments: