Monday, November 26, 2007

Step by Step

Everything in my life is full right now.
My stomach is stuffed from pecan pie.
My car is still loaded from the trip.
My sinuses are full.
My to do list is growing.
I think there was even a full moon over the weekend.

"My plate is full", as they say.
"Tis the season" as others say.
"When it rains, it pours." ... you get the picture.

Before we left Shane's family, we visited his grandmother again in the hospital. She'll be discharged Tuesday. The major surgery she endured comes with restrictions she must strictly abide by in order to heal properly. Not being able to bend over the waist is one of the limitations.

When I was straightening up her house and getting ready to leave, I noticed how much bending over I did. There were stairs she could not go up. Even using the restroom or bathing would be a chore for her.

"How are you going to do it all?" I asked her, not trying to hide my nerves about the difficultly of the healing process ahead. "How will you not bend over? Who will help you? Will someone be able to rearrange the house so that you are able to reach things?"

I was working myself into a small panic imagining how her life may be rearranged.

"One step at time" she said with a soft smile, "and I'll have to learn to let some things go, won't I?"

She looked completely at ease. Without fear and worry. Plus, she had the right attitude for the job.

As your life begins filling up this season, remember the words from this wise woman. Whether it's getting your Christmas shopping done, fighting depression, spring cleaning or healing from surgery. Remember, one step at a time and learn to let some things go. You'll enjoy this time more than ever and recover smoothly!

No comments: