Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Talk is cheap..

One of my best friends called me one day to 'check in'. We talked about all our families and friends, the weather, our weekend plans and so forth.
"So, how are things with you?"
She knew what I meant. When you know someone well you don't always have to say the words exactly to know how what your friend is asking.
"No luck getting pregnant", she answered. "They are going to do some more tests this week."
I could hear the sorrow in her voice.
"Well, I'll be praying for you this week."

My friend was hurting. She wanted so badly to get pregnant and after over a year of trying everything she knew to do, her prayers were still not answered. I grieved for her. Not only because I loved her and didn't want her to hurt, but that I knew she would be an awesome mother. I ended just about every conversation we had by telling her that I would pray that she and her husband would become pregnant.

One day my mom inquired about this friend. "How is she doing?" my mom asked.
"She's doing good... but, could still use your prayers".
And then it hit me like a load of bricks were dropped from the heavens square onto my heart.

I had yet to say a single prayer for my friend.

One of my oldest, dearest friends. The one who chipped her teeth sliding down my stairs in second grade. The friend who jokingly added my last name to hers when we spent a whole summer together. The friend who was always there for me through thick and thin. The friend who still calls on my brother's birthday 14 years after his death. I had failed her. Failed myself. Failed our friendship.

I prayed immediately. I prayed daily. Not the same prayer over and over, because I know God hears me the first time. I prayed the doctors knew the best treatment, I reminded God what good parents they would make, I prayed her husband would have patience and that her heart would be filled with peace.

Two months later I received the phone call that she was expecting!

Did I make her pregnant? No - genetically impossible and last I checked I don't have super powers (but, I'll check again later today!).
I do believe in the power of prayer. My friend had a lot of people praying for her.

Why did I not follow through with what I said? Selfishness, laziness, fill in the blank. I love her dearly, but was unintentionally focusing my prayer life on me and my needs. I was wrong in assuming that I had to pray at the same time every day, in the same fashion.
We can pray anywhere, anyhow with anyone about anything. Eyes closed, eyes open. Formally or informally. The point is the action, not the structure of it. I have learned a lesson through all of this. First, when you say you are going to do something... do it. Right then. Right now. Two, talk is cheap.. but, prayer is powerful.

"Remember you will judged by your actions, not your intentions.
You may have a heart of gold -
but, so does a hard boiled egg."
Author unknown

3 comments:

Laurie R. said...

You have such an awesome way of viewing the world! I truly admire you.
Lots of love,
Laurie

anna said...

You are right, Talk is cheap. All too often we say things and then go about our business forgetting what just happened. Thanks for the reminder because I want to mean what I say and say what I mean:-)And prayer does work....I am so happy they are finally having a baby!!!!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I've been guilty of doing the same thing. I've been convicted of this sin on several occasions. You are right. It is so easy to tell someone you will remember them in your prayers, or even write it in a "sympathy" or "get-well" card. With God's help, I won't do this anymore!!

By the way, your "friend" is blessed to have you as her friend!