Friday, November 9, 2007

Tigger or Eeyore?

Have you seen Pausch's Last Lecture video floating all around the web?
If you haven't heard about it... let me fill you in briefly.
Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University who is currently dieing of pancreatic cancer. Before leaving the university, he delivered his "last lecture". He explains in this lecture that a professor is suppose to pretend as if this is the last lecture (s)he will ever give. He, however, is dieing... so, it essentially was his last chance to deliver the messages he deemed important. He focused his teaching points on how to live out your childhood dreams. It's very inspirational and moving. I suggest you check out the video link. The full video is about 1 hour long. The Oprah clip is really great too, and only 15 mins if you don't have a lot of time. For some reason I couldn't get the links to post, so search "Pausch's last lecture" at any site. Or go to www. oprah.com and search "Pausch's last lecture" for the abbreviated version. I found his lecture very courageous and inspiring. Check it out!
One of my favorite points of advice he focused on in his lecture was, "You have to decide early on if you are a Tigger or an Eeyore". I think I know what I am. I even think my parents might have called me Tigger a time or two growing up. I was bouncing all over the place. But, I know Mr. Pausch did not mean this in terms of energy. Rather, he meant it to mean that you have to focus early on if you are going love life or loathe life.
I thought I was going to blog about how you didn't have to be one or the other (Tigger or Eeyore) and that you could comfortably find your spot somewhere in the middle. Now, as I am typing I have changed my mind. You do have to decide. You have to decide if you are going to live life to the fullest, or mope around and miss the action. You have to know if you are going to view the world through a lens of hope and joy, or if your lens magnifies the unjust and unfair. Are you going to spring at the chance to help others, spend time with friends and put a smile on someones face? Or are you going to stay in one spot and complain when others come to you?
Are you words going to be uplifting or bring others down?
When I heard Mr. Pausch speak, it moved me to know this man will be dead in a matter of months. Regardless of this fact, he reiterated, "I'm going to have fun and enjoy this time".
You are going to die.
I am going to die.
We are all going to die.
Now that we have the uncontrollable, inevitable truth out of the way... it's time to define your journey here.
Is your spirit already dead while your lifeless body roams this Earth?
Or are you going to supercharge your goals, life purpose, change your glasses and see through the positive lense?
The time here in human form is a gift.. not an accident. You are a gem with a specific purpose. Begin to love the time you have here and have fun!

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made of rubber
The bottoms are made out of springs
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I'm the only one!
Tigger's favorite Song
Winnie the Pooh

1 comment:

Beverly Henderson said...

Liz....you are awesome!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your wisdom.